Elegant Wm Rogers Old English Reproduction S.P copper 6257 silver plated Tray. Large serving tray decorated with grapes and leaf pattern and engraved center.
The tray as 32 cm of diameter.
William Rogers began by apprenticing with Joseph Church, a silversmith, and watchmaker, from 1820 to 1825. They became partners in 1825. Their company, Church & Rogers, manufactured silver-plate flatware and hollowware. From 1832 to 1838 he was partners with his brother, Asa Rogers, in the firm, A. Rogers Jr. and Co. The partnership expanded to include their brother Simeon from 1847 to 1853 as Rogers Brothers. From 1857 to 1861, and again from 1896 to 1873, he partnered with his son, William Henry Rogers, under the company name William Rogers & Son.
Starting in 1862, portions of the Rogers brothers’ enterprises were taken over by the Meriden Britannia, which, in 1898, became part of the newly formed International Silver Co.. Rogers and his brothers were associated with Meriden Britannia Co. until his death. From 1865 to 1869 he partnered with William Henry Rogers, William Henry Watrous, Thomas Birch, and William J. Pierce under the company name William Rogers Manufacturing Co. Clearly, he had a significant impact on American sterling silver marks over such a long career with so many companies.