Skip to product information
1 of 11

Très British! Antiquités

Weidlich Brothers Jewelry Box

Weidlich Brothers Jewelry Box

Regular price $475.00 CAD
Regular price Sale price $475.00 CAD
Sale Sold out

Beautiful Weidlich Brothers antique jewelry box circa 1910-1920. This unique gilded jewelry box represent a 18th century women sitting on a recamier.

The jewelry box is 18 cm High, 26 cm Wide and 13 cm Deep.

The Weidlich Brothers Manufacturing Company was established in Bridgeport, Connecticut by brothers Louis W. and Charles E. Weidlich in 1905. Louis was trained as a die sinker, while Charles worked in the Wheeler and Wilson Manufacturing Company’s sewing machine factory, however, the pair’s new venture specialized in the manufacture of gold and silver plated wares. Initial production took place in a small shop located at 140 Sterling Street in Bridgeport, until a dedicated factory was erected for the firm on Connecticut Avenue in 1910. By the time of the Weidlich Brothers Manufacturing Company’s move, Charles E. Weidlich had died and two other family members, Frederick A. and Ernest C. Weidlich, had joined the firm. Louis W. Weidlich continued to serve as the company’s president, while Frederick and Ernest Weidlich served as vice president and treasurer, respectively. The business of the Weidlich Brothers Manufacturing Company increased significantly during the 1910s and by 1917 employment at the firm averaged 150 hands and the Connecticut Avenue plant had been expanded to double its original size. The company also increased the diversity of its catalog during this period and by the 1930s it consisted of a variety of goods and novelties such as spoons, jewelry cases, cigarette dispensers, salt and pepper shakers, candlesticks, bud vases, clock cases, and electric lamps. Most of these were designed by Louis Weidlich or Alfred J. Flauder, the company’s head artisan. The Weidlich Brothers Manufacturing Company remained in business until the death of Louis W. Weidlich in July 1950. The firm did not survive the death of its founder and its Bridgeport factory was placed on the auction block in October 1950.

View full details