Beautiful Victorian lithography Der Bazard 1897. Representing two women resting at the beach surrounded by soft blue and frame in a graceful gilded frame.
The frame is 46 cm high and 38,5 cm long.
Der Bazar was a fashion magazine which was published in Berlin, Germany, in the period 1854–1933. Its subtitle was first Technische Muster-Zeitung für Frauen. Then it was changed to Illustrirte Damen-Zeitung (Illustrated Women's Magazine) from 1 January 1857. It is one of the earliest examples of a multilingual magazine.
Der Bazar was launched on 10 December 1854 as a biweekly magazine. The publisher was a company based in Berlin which was owned by Louis Schäfer. However, it was Antonie von Cosmar who suggested to establish Der Bazar. She was a playwright and novelist. From 1857 the magazine was redesigned, its subtitle was modified and the frequency was switched to weekly.
The magazine covered fashion-related news and illustrations as well as suggestions to retailers on methods of selling clothes to women. Der Bazar featured illustrations of ballroom outfits as clothing advice to its readers in its first January issue every year. The magazine also published articles on cosmopolitan lifestyles, home life and aesthetics.
Der Bazar enjoyed international readership and had editions in other languages. By 1863, in addition to 105,000 copies in German annually, there were 50,000 in English, 32,000 in French and 15,000 in Spanish. The magazine also published editions in Dutch, Russian, Italian, Hungarian and Czech, and claimed to be the most widespread journal in the world with a circulation of over half a million.
Der Bazar had many spin-off and inspired many women's magazines. A notable example was the American fashion magazine Harper's Bazaar which employed some of the content of Der Bazar following its foundation in 1867. Another magazine inspired from Der Bazar which republished its fashion content was Magyar Bazar a Hungarian fashion magazine based in Budapest. The Dutch edition of Der Bazar was De Gracieuse which was published in Leiden between 1862 and 1936. Der Bazar folded in 1933.