Adorable Royal Adderley Fine Bone China England porcelain teacup and saucer. Called Fragrance they are decorated with hand painted flowers and gold trimmings.
The teacup is 5.5 cm high, 9 cm long and 6.5 cm large.
The saucer as 11.5 cm of diameter.
Adderleys Ltd started in 1876 producing china and earthenware at the Daisy Bank Pottery in Longton Stoke-on-Trent. This factory had already been in producing china since 1778 for many other companies. It profited from a nearby marl hole where they dug the clay used in their china. In this location, Adderley gradually developed a reputation for offering fine china.
In 1936 the company moved some of its operations to Sutherland Road in Longton where they operated under the name of ‘Adderley Floral and Figurine China Co Ltd’. Ridgeway Potteries purchased the company with its two factories in 1947. However, Ridgeway continued producing under the Adderley name. At this point the company also started using the Royal Adderley name, especially for its bone china sets. In 1952 Ridgeway renamed itself Ridgeway & Adderley Ltd. When it purchased Booths & Colclough Ltd. in 1955 its operations moved to the Paladin Works in Longton. In 1972 Royal Doulton purchased the company but continued producing china using the Royal Adderley name until 1988.
Despite its closure, this company has maintained its reputation for having produced fine crafted elegant china. Their bone china dinnerware continues to grace dining tables in homes around the world.