Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston England porcelain teacup and saucer. The Napoleon Ivy pattern ( As used by Napoleon at St.Helena 1815 ) is on both the teacup and the saucer.
The teacup is 6,5 cm high, 12 cm long and 9 cm large.
The saucer as 14,5 cm of diameter.with 9 cm of diameter.
The History of Wedgwood begins with Josiah Wedgwood, who was born in Burslem England in 1730, the youngest of twelve children of Thomas and Mary Wedgwood of the Churchyard Pottery. At the age of nine he was apprenticed to his eldest brother.
At the end of his apprenticeship his brother refused him a partnership and he joined John Harrison at the Cliffe Bank pottery works of Thomas Alders. After two years there, in 1754, Josiah Wedgwood was taken into partnership by Thomas Whieldon of Fenton, the greatest potter of his time.
After five years, Josiah was ready to start in business on his own account, and in 1759 he founded the Wedgwood firm, renting the Ivy House Works in Burslem for ten pounds a year.
At the Ivy House he introduced his first distinctive and original ware with the invention of a brilliant clear green glaze which he used to decorate leaf and vegetable shapes.
In 1762 Josiah moved to the Brick House and it was there that he first produced what he described as a species of earthenware for the table. Later to be known as Queens Ware by command of Queen Charlotte, this new inexpensive, and beautiful tableware was, without question, Wedgwood’s greatest achievement and contribution to the British pottery industry.
Wedgwood put fine earthenware within the reach of all but the poorest class, and his success was immediate and world-wide.